For all of 2016’s bumps and bruises, it’s been a remarkable year in the realm of sports. From the Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago Cubs winning long-overdue titles, to Leicester City‘s highly-improbably run to the Premier League title, it’s been quite a ride.
TOP SPORTS STORIES
Beutler Ink recently released an oversized graphic (shown above) celebrating/lamenting the biggest news stories of 2016. Click above to see how many of the sports-related drawings you can identify before using the key below to check your answers. As a hint, there are a total of 19 sports stories illustrated — or 20, if you include a certain fad related to the tossing of a partially-filled beverage containers.
BEUTLER INK SPORTS KEY
13) Muhammad Ali RIP
17) Pat Summitt RIP
19) José Fernández RIP
20) Arnold Palmer RIP
32) Chicago Cubs finally win!
33) Vin Scully retires
34) Candace Parker and the Sparks win WNBA championship
35) Kobe Bryant retires
36) Von Miller and the Broncos win Super Bowl
38) Colin Kaepernick takes knee during anthem
39) Simone Biles + Final Five
40) LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and Cleveland Cavaliers win NBA championship
84) Michael Phelps
85) Katie Ledecky
86) Ryan Lochte
87) Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez celebrate Leicester City’s first Premier League title
88) Kevin Durant joins Golden State Warriors after their Finals loss
89) Ma’a Nonu of New Zealand’s record-setting All Blacks rugby tea
97) Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz UFC bout
104) Water bottle flip
GARDEN OF EARTHLY DELIGHTS
Beutler Ink’s graphic parodies Hieronymus Bosch’s more than 500-year-old painting known as The Garden of Earthly Delights, which can be viewed in Madrid’s Museo del Prado.
Viewed from left to right, the panels of the triptych depict a heavenly paradise, a sensorial playground, and a dismal hell. In Beutler Ink’s version of Bosch’s masterpiece, sports occupy the middle ground between heaven and hell, which to us sounds just about right…